Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Updates!!!!!


Being home is awesome!!!   Trying to get things tidied up from the last two trips and getting ready for the next one and in between - trying to get some work done!  Oh yes - life is a circus!  and I LOVE IT!!!!!


I thought I would share some updates with you as I am making progress on stuff - hard to believe - but it does happen sometimes.

Let's start with my latest craze - the HEXAGONS....................

Here are some of my prepped hexagons. Got to get myself organized with the type of thread to use and well - I might just take some of those along with me????  I don't know about that - but this project  is small and that is a good thing.  I am trying to pack as light as possible. 

My mom got into the craze as well and made this card from PAPER.  See how close she copied my design



I think she did a pretty good job except her card wasn't big enough to add the black around the outside edge

And then she made this with the leftover bits - SEE - the apple does not fall far from the tree in my family!!!!!


This hexagon craze is NOT new for me.  I have a pizza box filled with goodies all related to English paper piecing which is the method used to make the  hexagons.  I have several other shapes and I knew that I had other papers.  However I had a HUGE shock when I opened the box and looked inside.  Oh boy - a bit obsessive I would think.


I found not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE packs of hexagon papers.  All of them 1/2" - I know - I have a thing for using small stuff and TWO of those packs contain 750 papers each and the other three have 125 in them.  OK - I think I have enough papers????

However - have a look at where I bought those hexagon papers.   Oh yes - this store has been closed for MANY MANY years - even it's successor has been closed for many years.  Oh boy - yep - this craze is NOT new - I just never did anything about it before. 

I guess my discovery of all those papers makes this tool pretty much useless.  I bought the 1/2" punch so I could punch my own papers.  Hmmmm - I am thinking I don't need this and should have bought one of the other sizes instead. Oh well - shouldn't have gotten so excited!!!!!!!   And since I opened up the package - I can't even return the darn thing. I am sure I will find a use for it and those papers do eventually wear out.  Eventually.........

But more importantly - I got my glue refills and a brand new pen.  That should keep me busy for a while. 


So - if I were to prepare a bunch of fabric squares - take along glue pen, needle and thread - I could easily do this project on the road.

Let's move to the knitting.   While I was away - I managed to get THREE blocks done.   Yeah!!!!!!   That is all the wool that I took with me and while I lamented not taking more - I finished the last one on the last day - so not that big of a deal.


Three more blocks done

That makes 11

Here are the left over bits from each block

That leaves six skeins in the "to do" bag and three are in the mobile knitting bag. 

But I managed to get this much done at Monday (couldn't figure out what to take to sew - knitting just seemed so much easier to deal with)

And while I was on the phone last night - I got the block done.   


That means there are EIGHT skeins of wool left.  And the bits of which I am hoping to get another four blocks????? Which would give me 25 blocks and I could make my afghan 5 by 5.  Hmmmm - I could take some of that knitting with me, but it is bulky so I don't think so. But I am bound and determined to NOT start something new (knitting) until this is done. And so far so good.  But I still have to knit the blocks together when I am done making all the blocks.  Well - it really wouldn't take that long - OK - I am going to be just like Ruthi and carry that damn little knitting bag with me everywhere!!!!!!   Could I be done by Christmas?????


I know - everything I seem to latch onto becomes an obsession.  I can't help it - I just get so enthusiastic. My license plate collection is growing.  I now have 13 of them in my collection (out of 28).  If my calculations are correct - I have another ten that we are waiting to arrive by mail - the stores were out when myself or my cohorts were there or I haven't picked it up from my cohorts. Thanks to all of you - it has been fun hearing all the offers from you!!!!!


License plate collection to date


And that leaves 5 left to find a way to get.  I checked the route for my bike trip and while I will be able to stop at a couple of stores, none of them have a license plate.  It is just too far out of the way to make a detour.


Sew Crafty - Rideau Ferry,
Sew Creative - Mount Brydges,
Quilter's Line - Markdale,
Kalidoscope of Quilts - Exeter,
We R Quilts - Prescott (two),
Wilton Creek Fabrics - Harrowsmith,
Threads that Bind - Maxwell,
The Quilting Trunk - Dryden
Fabric Fusion - Dryden
Flair With Fabrics -  Chesterville,
Fun With Stitches - Belleville,
Cobwebs and Caviar - Shelburne
Appleseed Quiltworks  - Lindsay.


I think I did not too bad although I realize that I did not get to all the stores in person.  Well here is a plan for 2015.  My guess is that MORE stores will participate in the Row by Row next year and many stores that did NOT get a license plate this year - will get one next year.  Now what if I took a month and rode to the stores on my bike to get the license plates????   Cost effect if I tent - a great way to see the province and get to some new stores.  Something to thing about.   Anybody up to cycle with me?????? 


A number of years ago (2011) the town of Ailsa Craig brought in quilts from The Netherlands for their annual quilt show. One of the biggest quilt stores was here - Den Hann and Wagenmakers.  When M and I went to Amsterdam in 2012 - we visited this store.  Both times I loved their kits but felt they were too expensive and like I need another kit. When I heard that Susan was going to be in Amsterdam - I decided enough was enough and so I sent her to the store (she is a quilter - it was already on her list) and she bought me a kit. I met up with Susan when I was out west and I finally got my kit!!!!!


I know - I even had to bring the store bag home!!!!!

Look how pretty that box is!!!!

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

And here are the fabrics.  I have had the pattern for months as the store sent it to me via e-mail.  


This kit did NOT fit in my suitcase and I had to carry it in my backpack which was so heavy - I thought I was going to fall backwards.   Hmmmm - memories of M and London come to mind.  OK - so I should have learned from her!!!!!

Just when Susan and I thought that we were all straight with getting stuff to each other, another situation arose.  This time - I went to take a picture of Lego Laniac in her driveway.  Later I discovered that she lost her hair in the driveway.  I think it is now winging its way back to me.  Hey Susan - let's hope that we have everything sorted out now!!!!!!!!!!!


I was admiring some of the gorgeous Perle Cottons that Susan had and she managed to wing this ball in my bag before I left.  I just love the colour - very southwestern.   Hmmmmm - got to find something really creative to do with it.   Some bobbin work??????


A couple of months ago - I started writing for a blog called QUILTsocial.  My "job" (if you are doing something you love - I don't call it a job and it certainly isn't work!) is to review sewing machines for Husqvarna Viking.  The first week I had fun with the H|Class 100Q.


Here are the links if you want to have a peek at what this little machine is all about...................


Day One  - Summer Sewing
Day Two - Stitch Outs
Day Three - It's all about the Feet
Day Four - A Quilting we will go
Day Five - Summertime and the sewing is easy

Day Six - Why I love the Husqvarna Viking H|Class 100Q
Day Ten - Top ten reasons why I love the Husqvarna Viking H|Class 100Q


Well I had a good laugh when I went to Monday sewing.   TWO people had purchased the H|Class machine.


Lynn's machine

Joyce's machine
 I see that both of them have a mat under the machine.  Perhaps they can tell us why??   I will ask them.
Joyce with the borders that she put on her scrappy braid quilt


I think they are going to LOVE that little machine.  They seemed to be quite happy - and if you read Day 10 - you will understand why.   The features on this small machine are amazing. Check it out and you will see why this is such a cool little machine.


In case you are wondering what happened on Day 6, 7, and 8 - that was tutorials for making Fabric Journal Covers and if you want to check it out - here are the links. They are so easy to make. These examples are very simple and with no embellishments - you can have one made in less than an hour (provided you have all the supplies).   Have fun and let me know what you make!!!!!!


Day 7 - Fabric Journal cover tutorial
Day 8 - Fabric Journal cover collage
Day 9 - Crazy about Fabric Journal covers



I have the next week to prepare the next two segments.  Oh yes - I am busy taking pictures which is NOT an easy task.  I will show you my "studio" tomorrow.


I did manage to tidy up a bit.


The ironing board is clear

The cutting table - made progress - not quite there yet


Have you ever been invited to a wedding and you want to go just because of the invitation????   We received such an invitation yesterday.  


Very fancy and the weight of the card stock is very HEAVY

Separate invites to the ceremony and the reception

Information and RSVP cards

And even the envelopes were printed with the design - again - that was no ordinary paper for those envelopes!!!!


I won't be going - won't be home.  But I can imagine how fancy the wedding is going to be.   In all honesty - I have no desire for this kind of thing.  I hate SHOWY events - it should be about celebrating the couple and not the pomp and circumstance.  Ah yes - you can take the country girl and put her in the city, but you can't take the country out of the girl!!!!!!


On that note - it is time to ride to Tim's and get my tea and then get to WORK - I mean - back to taking pictures and sewing.  YEAH - a fun day!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine,
    Here is the best email to reach me at:
    Sdmc1@live.com
    Let me know your address and I will get your license plate off to you
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete