Saturday, September 6, 2014

The mystery package.....



Back in April, I was working on a sample for a class.  I had gone to Fabricland and found a gorgeous (I know - don't shoot me) floral fabric.  I bought all they had which was about 1 meter.  I loved my colour combination so much that I wanted to make an entire quilt from it - but no such luck. Despite having called and visited MANY Fabriclands - this fabric was gone!!!!


The fabric that I ran out of

People were sending me pictures of fabrics from various stores and links on the internet, but NOTHING was the same.

This was probably the closest that we found. 


Alas - it was not close enough. And so I thought I would never ever find this fabric and I might as well come up with plan B to get the quilt finished.

BUT I was not to be stopped by a simple matter of running out of fabric so I took to the internet with a vengeance. I had the information from the selvedge and I used that to search and I searched and I searched and I FOUND IT!!!!!   I know - who would have thought. Guess where I found it????   In Germany!!!!!!   I know - well then I had to get real - international shipping is crazy and to purchase this fabric was already MUCH more expensive than what I had paid for it in Fabricland.

One day chatting to Ruthi - I remembered that her daughter lived in Switzerland and was coming to Canada within a couple of months.  OH - will she be a fabric mule for me?????   Yep - so I managed to get the fabric ordered with my total lack of German and the store owner's smidgen of English - I ordered and paid for the fabric, had it shipped to Switzerland. Then Becca  brought it over in July.  Since I had a crazy summer - I am only getting the package now.


My blocks
THE package

My blocks AND the new fabric - I can now finish the quilt!!!!!


I'm pretty excited to have found it, although I was a little apprehensive to open the package in the fear that it was the wrong one!   I love searching for stuff like that and now all of a sudden - this quilt has a cool story than if I had just purchased enough at the onset! (which there wasn't enough - so SOMEONE in Mississauga has some of this fabric - probably just languishing in their stash!!!!!!



It has been hot and humid here and we knew that we going to get a storm. It hit us last night - not that violent or so it didn't seem, but then it is hard to judge the storm when you are trapped in suburbia.  You don't really get a chance to see the sky - but here are a couple of pictures I took of the clouds last night.


Roiling clouds

The front of that storm cloud looks very angry

And there is my kid and the dogs outside dancing in the rain which just started!!!!!



I learned something yesterday.  OK - so it really wasn't learning - I was being reminded.  I was reading that magazine on Storage ideas.  And guess what one of them said - "Force yourself to limit the size of a collection by designating a finite amount of space in which to keep it. Once you've outgrown the space, you know it's time to cut back."     Well - WHAT IS THE FUN IN THAT???????    YES - it is a great idea and really something that I should apply to my books and magazines. If you only keep the good ones - then it is better to have 10 good ones that you use all the time, than 100 that you never touch.   I know all that!!!!!   Let me get the rest of the house organized and then I'll get to work.


I must have led a very uncultured childhood.   The book our book club is reading for the chat next week is "To Kill a Mockingbird".  Ronda was SHOCKED that I had never read it.  Ronda read it, her daughter has read it, my daughter has read it - but I never did!!!!!   It is a interesting read and so funny in light of how those kids entertained themselves and how kids entertain themselves today!!!! NO comparison!  No problem to get it read before next Thursday - I read over a third of it yesterday. I know - I should be quilting!!!!!


I am working on a sample for the striped fabric class and I had a dilemma - only one meter of striped fabric, but I figured it out.  Had two options and took the second one but both would have been nice.

Today - I really must get MUCH more productive or I will never get anything accomplished and I MUST stop reading!!!!!!


Here is the link to QUILTSocial from yesterday - the top ten reasons why I love the Opal 690Q.  Now I know you are thinking - why should I read that - I am not in the market to buy that machine or any machine.  But in the event you are searching for a sewing machine - these are super features and are very nice to have on a machine. Check it out - you are bound to learn something. It is always nice to know what is available even if you can't get it today.


Plus there is a free giveaway every week - make sure you get your name into the draw.


If you have NOTHING to do today - there is a new quilt store opening.   Village Square Quilt Shop in Burlington.   check it out.   I might just pop down - just to say HI!!!!!   If you do go - I strongly advise you to check out the parking and exact location of the store in the CONTACT info on their web site.  They are in a small village square and you can't just drive up to the front door. You have to walk a little bit.



On that note - I am out of here to get something done before my class this morning.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment