Sunday, October 26, 2014

Fun, FUN and even more FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Don't you just love having fun?  I just love what I do because not only do I like doing it, but I have fun doing it.

How many of you had fun at the Row by Row this past summer????   Well - it is already ramping up for 2015.  Have a look at this blog link - the new theme is out and it is going to be FUN!!!!!   And check out Bobbin the Robin as well - FUN FUN FUN...............   (aren't those new fabrics cute cute cute???  and it looks like ALL of Canada will be involved!!!!!!!!!!!!)


NEW ROW BY ROW THEME


So this is my FIRST time taking classes/demos at the CreativFestival.  OH MY - I am in AWE - I am having loads of fun and amassing TONS of information and inspiration (I am making lists of things to ask at all the places).  You see - this festival is NOT just about shopping.  There are thread companies, sewing machine companies, notions distributors - THIS is the place to get your questions ANSWERED!!!!!!!    I have very limited time today and I have a big list of questions and things to check out - I hope I get through it all.

And I really think the multi-day is good since it allows me to have a look, come home, digest the information and then go back with more questions.  I am learning so much just by being curious!!!!!!!!!

Now I am always getting myself into trouble.  At last spring's CreativFestival, Tish and I stopped by the CHA booth (Canadian Craft and Hobby Association).  They were looking for people to sign up for a sewing challenge at the Fall CreativFestival. We both signed up and sort of forgot about it. When we were contacted this fall - I decided - what the heck - let's give it a whirl.  YIKES - the BIG event was yesterday.   The projects would either be a tablerunner, pillow, bag, stocking or apron.  The projects were randomly picked at the start of each event.   When we got there - only the stocking and apron were left.  Our group got stocking!!!!  

Fortunately the sewing machine was VERY familiar to me - very similar to the Husqvarna Viking H|Class 100Q.     We had to use everything that was in the project bag.  Hmmmm - gorgeous flannels from Northcott, some trims - dingle balls, rick rack and ribbon and bells.  

On your mark, get set GO!!!!!!!!!!!   We had no pattern so I just drew a stocking shape on the wrong side of the fabric - layered up four FQs (two for the outside and two for the lining) and cut with scissors through all.   Then I got creative with the cuff - my mind went totally blank for making the cuff go all around the stocking so it is just on the front part!!!!   And in retrospect - the bottom is perhaps a bit big relative to the top. BUT - I managed to get it completely done in ONE HOUR.   I fussy cut that little owl for the cuff - fussy cut the green fabric trim around him - stitching down some red ribbon to outline him. Oh yes - it was stressful but a lot of fun.


BUT there is an advantage to having a big boot part - LOTS and LOTS of stuff can be put in there!!!!!!!!!!!

We all got a great gift bag filled with all kinds of goodies for participating - fabric from Northcott, scissors and numerous other notions.

Then the judge came in and picked my stocking as the winner of the challenge.  I got a super sewing basket with MORE goodies.

 I do have to say that it was a challenge because we got no pattern - just the pack of supplies!!!!!!  For those of you who know me - I am meticulous and like to take my time (hence my huge stash of UFOs)   so the time thing was another issue.  Hmmm - that would be fun to do with a group. Any takers?????    I do have to say that I pressed and pressed my stocking. The seams were FLAT FLAT FLAT. The others not so much although their ideas were equally creative - they all pieced the bottom part of the stocking which was very creative.  They just needed to press it BETTER and I am certain the results would have been different. It was only superb workmanship that saved me!


I had an AHA moment the other day.  It concerned my 2014 shelf.  You know I started that shelf business in 2012.  It didn't really work in 2012, nor in 2013 and certainly NOT in 2014.  BUT I have figured out the secret!!!!!!!!!!   OK - so I am slow sometimes.  I am not going to reveal it now, although I should in the event that I forget my brilliant idea!!!!!  

This studio needs a major cleaning up - there is stuff everywhere.  I am not even going to show you pictures - well I will take them and show you another day.  It is a disaster zone - no question!!!!   I can't even say that I have a plan but I better figure it out soon because I am opening up the studio for a Sit n Sew in a couple of weeks and right now - well there is NO ROOM for anyone including ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On that note - have to get ready for my last day at the CreativFestival.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment