Saturday, April 11, 2015

Bags of batting - yes - there is a difference!







While I can provide batting for the customer's quilts, many times I get to use whatever batting the quilter has brought. In pretty much all cases, the choice of batting is good. But there is one style of batting that I am less in love with.


This is batting by Pellon. It comes in a plastic bag


Normally, I HATE quilt bats that are packaged. But the way that Pellon has prepared their battings is great. They do NOT force them in the bag. They are not compressed and when you unfold the batting, there are no stretch marks on it. It is a pleasure to work with.


You can see the fold lines if you look carefully, but there are NO stretch marks and the batting goes into the quilt nice and smooth

This batting was taken from a roll so there are no fold lines at all and obviously no stretch marks. 


BUT this is the batting I hate. While I like the batting, I HATE the packaging. They fold and fold and scrunch and fold some more and then roll. So when you take the batting out of the bag - one part will be flat, the next will be stretched, the next part flat, the next part stretched. It is HORRIBLE to work with. Yes - you can put it in the dryer to fluff it, but that should NOT be my job. Unless you want me to charge for that!!!!   So if you are inclined to buy batting in a bag and take it to your long arm quilter - do them a favour - fluff it out first, then fold it nicely and give it to them. They will appreciate it greatly or you may get charged.


Batting in a bag - this style of packaging stretches the batting




On that note - I am out of here. Hopefully I am sewing up a storm. Hopefully there is NO storm!!!




Have a great day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have been using the Pellon Nature's Touch for a few years now, and I love it! I have found variances between packages in thickness of batting, but it always lays out nice (I pin baste because I quilt on a sewing machine), and washes up nice after it's quilted. I will continue to use it because the price is right too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin - thanks for the confirmation on the batting choice - Nature's Touch. I am very impressed and glad to hear that I am not alone.

      Delete