Thursday, April 23, 2015

Construction up in Tiny Town!


Wouldn't you love to have the time to sew everything you want to sew?  I see so many awesome designs that I would love to make, so many things I would love to experiment with and then let's not forget the designs in my head. If only we had the time.  I can't eek out any more time and I have no suggestions for you. Well maybe one - FOCUS!!!!

Anyway - it's time to check in on the construction in Tiny Town to see what's happened since last month. The blocks are so creative and the details are fun to check out.

Have a look....................  Here is the original pattern

Tiny Town by Bunny Hill




And here is the homework...................  (I'm not even going to pretend that I remember all the names and since I know some and some I don't - I'm not going to put any names on the blocks). This month we made the post office block.



This person LOVES to fussy cut images and put them on her quilts. I LOVE the hippy vehicles!!!

I'm loving those busy backgrounds and beautiful hand work on this one!

How about that funky van! and the yellow cab!

Beautiful soft colours, Love the polka dot car!  How come we don't have real cars with polka dots? Especially the bug!

Bright colours in this one. Love the striped roof line, the FUNKY car colour and she used a printed fabric for the clock!

This is the rebel in the class. Never seems to get the applique done quite on time or perhaps it is the wrong block, but the quilt is always complete at the end of the class!!!!   Yep - there is one in every crowd!

Nice fun bright colours. She is changing the shapes of the cars and I love the bright red bird!

This lady is making two quilts - one by hand and one by machine. However she was on vacation last month so didn't quite get the block done!

These colours are so very soft - very Japanese feel to this quilt. 

I love that mail box. It is outlined in black which makes it really pop out. And how about the brickwork on the post office. Let's not forget the fussy cut fabric for the tree. 

Very soft colours, and beautifully done. She took an element from the "brick work" on the post office and appliqued it to the door. 
Block done in SOLIDS!!!!   This has a very cartoon feel to it and I LOVE IT!!!!   I never thought of doing that, but what a neat concept. 

Catch up block from last month. She used stitches on her sewing machine to create leaves and falling leaves on the tree!!!  She also stitched around the door frame with the sewing machine. Her aunt is known (well to us) for her creativity with the sewing machine and it looks like the talent is spread through out that family!


Busy backgrounds!!!   Look at the clotheslines that was embrodiered into the middle of that block. Very creativie, very funky!!

More of the busy backgrounds - love them!!!!


I am very impressed. I gave the class all kinds of ideas for making the clock instead of embroiderying it. Most embroidered it. This class loves their hand work. And it is beautifully done!!!!  There are a few doing the quilt by machine and they equally are having fun with their stitches.

Can't wait to see these quilts when they are complete!  I'll invite you to the show n tell. This class is at Sew Sisters in Toronto.

We also had some non Tiny town show n tell.

This is the musical quilt.  I believe there were about 30 different music fabrics in the quilt. The pattern is one of the variations of Turning Twenty - I didn't catch which one.

Karen's music quilt

It was made for a musician and the names of his songs and other pertinent things were quilted onto the quilt. Nicely done - it is awesome!!!!   And what a great way to personalize a quilt. 

Vjera made this little wall hanging and of course someone piped to ask if she put the chicken or the egg down first!!!



These little bundles of batting come from Fabricland and if ever you see them - they would make great samples for quilting. Buy several, do different quilting designs (especially density) and then you can compare the results.  I have several now and hope to get some experimenting done - one day!!!!   Thanks Karen.

Bundle of batting samples by The Warm Company

On that note - the start of an insane weekend starts. It is setup day for CreativFestival and that's where I will be. It is also set-up day for the Mississauga Quilt Guild show and well - I can't be in two places at once.

But check out both shows - they are going to be awesome!!!!!   I know we have some amazing challenges in the Northcott challenge at the Mississauga show. Now if I could just find the paper with the winners so we can pin the ribbons on.  Don't PANIC!!!!   (not yet - I have 24 hours to find the papers!)

Have an awesome day and drive safe!!!

Ciao!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Did you make your tiny town in bright colors to inspire the students? I like all their work, it is very creative. How much did they copy from you? Or is it original?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. I like the bright colors a lot better than the pattern.

    ReplyDelete