Thursday, April 2, 2015

More show n tell!


I can't begin to tell you the relief I feel now that I am DONE correcting that issue.  Seriously - if I had of known at the beginning exactly how long it was going to take, I might have thought twice about it. However I am happy to report that the problem is corrected, the mind numbing job is done and I am ready to move on!!!!

I recently came across this article which I thought I would share with you - I think it is very appropriate based on my recent experience.   In particular - I thought this quote was very fitting............


One study conducted by Gilovich even showed that if people have an experience they say negatively impacted their happiness, once they have the chance to talk about it, their assessment of that experience goes up. Gilovich attributes this to the fact that something that might have been stressful or scary in the past can become a funny story to tell at a party or be looked back on as an invaluable character-building experience.



Oh yes - that was a character-building experience to say the least.  By the way - the sewing days, the classes, the clubs and guilds - all of that is a LIFE EXPERIENCE as they mention in the article. OK - so we have to buy a few things in order to do that - so what!!!!  

Obviously stress does NOT affect my blood pressure. I went two days ago and it was really low. Well for most people is would be really low, but I am in the low normal range which is classified for athletes and children. I don't really feel like I qualify for the athlete category so I must be a child!




The following pictures are from the show n tell at The Hobby Horse this past weekend. The first quilt is called Enchanted Autumn by The Vintage Spool

Enchanted Autumn by The Vintage Spool

Nice bear paw   (Linda)

Wow - that pumpkin is awesome. I love the bright colours (Linda)!

More subdued colours  (Anna)

A funky bird - very cute (Colleen)

Look at those leaves. She used the Shimmer line of fabric from Northcott and those leaves are awesome. (Colleen) 

Cool bear paw block (Colleen)

More subdued colour way (Elaine S)

Nice variety of oranges for the pumpkin (Jennifer)

Bear paw block (Jennifer)

Love the bird fabric (Chris)

Although the owner of this block DENIED fussy cutting the bird, we beg to differ. There is a black dot EXACTLY where the eye is.  Looks awesome!!!! (Anita)

A brilliant red bird!!!! (Halima)

Bear paw block (Halima)


Awesome job ladies!!!!   Love it!!!


Colleen brought in her COMPLETED professional tote.  Notice the fussy cutting on the pockets. Great job Colleen.
Professional Tote - side one

Professional Tote - Side Two

This is her SECOND professional tote. Do you get the feeling that Colleen doesn't do subtle????   I love it!!!


Then we had show n tell for Tonga Rhapsody. This one is strictly pieced.


Tonga Rhapsody
Tonga Rhapsody by Wing and a Prayer

The original was done in batiks and most of the group are using batiks. Bottom line - they look awesome and can't wait to see this quilt done. I love the setting - so different from the usual!!!


Lynne

Marion

Linda

Carrie

Linda

Erica

Susan

Lynn


Lynne was so excited to show us some non-Tonga show n tell. This is from a project that she resurrected - I believe the project had moved to the closet and then to the basement and now it is back in the forefront - hopefully to be done soon!!!


Two cat blocks - see how she fussy cut the fabric for the bodies


BUT - she had originally sewn on buttons or something for the eyes. NO - she took all that off and used an embroidery design and machine embroidered the faces onto the cats. Now that is TALENT!!!   Lynne - they look absolutely awesome and can't wait to see the finished quilt.


Cat's face machine embroidered on the block


And there is still more!!!!   I had another applique class that same afternoon. This time the project was Silent Night by Normal Whaley.

Silent Night by Norma Whaley

Marion

She used a lot of ultra suede, felt and wool on the little bits

Shoot - forgot her name!

Jennifer




Well that is an amazing array of show n tell.

If you think back to the article - I think these multi day classes are very satisfying to the students (and certainly to me) because we get to share the experience of making a project with others. You are not doing it alone.

"We consume experiences directly with other people," says Gilovich. "And after they're gone, they're part of the stories that we tell to one another."


As long as people sign up for these classes - I will continue to teach them. Already got some great ideas lined up for 2016 (I know - it is just madness!!!). But if you have something you would really like to make or that you bought the pattern and have no idea where to start - let me know. I'll see if it can be worked into the schedule.

We are also putting together schedules for the fall line-up of regular classes so if there is something you want let me know.


Also a BIG HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has donated items for M's fashion show. We are still looking for things  - let me know if you have something and we can arrange pick-up.

On that note - I am out of here. Got a list, got a schedule and I don't have a lot of room for error or messing around.

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment