Saturday, May 9, 2015

Why kids are better than manuals!


I have an iPod that I use to listen to audio books. While I have music on the iPod - I never listen to music (too much maintenance and money to get the music on the iPod) - only audio books. I love listening to audio books - they make me focus on the task at hand. Like sewing on bindings, embroidery or loading a quilt on the long arm.

I thought listening to an audio book while driving LONG distances would also be great however I have attempted on several occasions to get my iPod to work in the car (through the audio system) and was never successful. Yes - I had the manual out and I was reading it, but I just couldn't seem to make heads nor tails of it. I was even tempted to get the Toyota guys to show me how when I went in for a tune-up last week.

Instead, I decided that M owed me some quality time and I would get her to figure it out.


My iPod

You see in my car - I have a couple of ports or outlets - one of them is marked USB and one is marked AUX.  Hey - I have a USB cable for my iPod - that should work - right???


iPod USB cable
 Apparently the answer is a big NO!!!!   My kid tells me "Mom - you can't use USB - you have to use AUX".  Seriously????   How am I supposed to know that?????  I could use Bluetooth, but that is hard on the batteries of the iPod.

So we were off to the mall for something else and we snagged the stereo cable that is requierd for the AUX outlet.

Stereo cable for the iPod


Then we got in the car and OH - there is a button on the radio that says DISC/AUX. Apparently I have to push that button TWICE to get to the AUX mode and then VOILA - I can listen to my audio book in the car!!!!!!!!!    Yeah to my kid for making that happen.  Now I would NEVER listen to audio book while driving around town, but once on the highway - it will be perfect - I think!

Now another problem raises its' ugly head. That is a lot of accessories for the iPod and something is going to get lost.
iPod and accessories - which collectively are way bigger than the darn iPod

AHA - I have some little cases that don't have a purpose - yet................

A nice little fabric bag

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The trick will be to NOT lose this little bag, but I don't think that will be a problem.

And can you believe that M told me to keep the little wire thingy on the stereo cable as it is long and will get tangled.  Ah - I may be getting older, but I don't need my kid telling me stuff like that - at least not yet.


But big thanks to M for solving my problem!!!!


I often wonder why people like to go away?  Yes - it is very relaxing, but the prep to get things ready to leave is insane!!!  I am madly quilting quilts and trying to do some tidying and well - I really need to be in the garden.

This is the quilt I got done yesterday.


Customer quilt - DONE


There is a problem when one shops at the local quilt store.  We had a speaker this past week at our guild meeting and one of the quilts she showed was a One Block Wonder made from a panel. Now I have made Stack n Whack from pillow panels - matter of fact, I have made TWO stach n whack quilts from pillow panels

If you have no idea what I am talking about - check out this blog post from a couple of years ago. You can see the type of fabric and the end results.

And here is one on Stack n Whack - pretty much the same technique.

And if you think making One Block Wonder or Stack n Whack from panels is new - THINK AGAIN.   Check out this post and you will see the books from 1993!!!!!!   Oh yes!!!!



I don't seem to be able to find the pictures of the two quilts that I made from the panels and I don't have time to dig them out this morning. I will do that later today.

All that to say that yesterday when I made a stop at Ruti's Needlebed, we (Susannah is a guild member and works at Ruti's) got to talking about the guild speaker and the quilt the speaker (Noshi)  had made from the panel.  ACK - next thing I knew, Susannah and I were rooting through the panels and I ended up with not one, not two, but THREE different sets of panels. How did that happen??????    I am hoping to cut one of them to take on the retreat.  One is funny, one is elegant and one will just be nice!!!!    Call me absolutely out of my mind!!!!!!!   However I also ask myself - does it bring me JOY?????   You bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And worth every penny!!!!  

Oh - the funniest part - I get an e-mail this morning from a friend (also a guild member - who also stopped by Ruti's yesterday) and she bought a set of panels as well and e-mailed me to say she knew what I bought!!!!!      Ah - the small town atmosphere - you got to love that!!!!    I think it is time for a class. Any one else want to join in?????   One Block Wonder or Stack n Whack from PANELS!!!!


On that note - I am off on an adventure today and I had best get myself organized.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'd take that class! Also audio books and podcasts are great for the highway. Time flies on long drives. But you're right, I always have to turn it off on city streets!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete