Friday, May 8, 2015

You can't take the farm out of the girl....................

I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan. I spent almost 17 years living in the country just waiting for the day when I could leave. However now that that era is coming to an end, it is going to be very sad!  My parents will be moving later this year. I will be out there to help them pack and well - it is always a sad day whenever I move from a house, but to see them move from the farm! Ack!!!!     Yep - I'll be shedding a tear or two!

Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely thrilled. It is just sad, but they desperately need to make this move. It won't happen soon enough!!!!   And we have been chatting a LOT these days and they actually have things very much under control, have obviously been doing a lot of planning and - well I think my parents have been abducted by aliens!

The farm and all the joy/frustration/dirt! and everything else (gathering eggs was always a joy especially when the hen did NOT want to give up those eggs) is what made me the person I am today and I would never trade that for the world. However it would appear that I will never get the farm out of my blood.

Last year, you remember I made those five tractor quilts for my Dad and my uncles.


If it ended there, all would be good. For some reason, I found pink John Deere fabric last year - well have a look at the situation.

I was checking out the pink John Deere fabric - can I possible make FOUR quilts from it all???  I am short by a bit so I did stop at Lens Mills in Toronto the other day. They have ONE pink John Deere print which is the same as one that I already have.  But I did find this green plaid. While it is not officially John Deere fabric, it is called "tractor times" - a knock off, but it will work for border and binding. What I have of the pink is cut up into 6 1/2" squares - ready for sewing together. I might sneek in a very quick trip to Waterloo today to try and find a smidgen more - or I might wait until next week when I have "more" time.
Pink John Deere fabric - ready to sew


At the Brampton Quilt Show last weekend, Elaine S spotted some yellow/green John Deere fabric. I tried, I really tried to not buy it (OK - I didn't try at all). I just handed over some cash and walked away!!!!! My friend Diane has some more yellow/green and we are going divy both our stashes up to get more variety!

Yellow/green John Deere fabric - enough to make ONE quilt - maybe two

Let's not forget the leftovers from those original five quilts. Actually I don't think they are leftovers - I have no idea where they came from.  This is getting to be a serious obsession. I think someone gave me some and when I was at Len's, I see that there is still copious amounts of it for sale!!!!   So if you are planning to give me ANY tractor fabric - you better do it NOW because after this summer, I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to see any tractor fabric again!!!!!


International Harvester tractor fabric


In case you missed my John Deere quilt at the Brampton Quild Show - here it is.



John Deere quilt


The other day when I was at Sew Sisters, I saw this book (again) and decided that I would buy it. Judy had made one block - it looked cute and I got hooked. And since I grew up on a farm - I thought it was very appropriate!!!!


Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt



I recently read marie kondo's book - the life-changing art of  tidying up. One of the things that she is very admanant about is keeping things that give you JOY.  One thing she neglects to mention is that you need cleaning supplies - they don't give me joy, but I need them!

Anyway - I digress.

So you should keep things that give you joy.  Or do things that give you joy.  I know from experience that I get more joy from working on a project than finishing it. I guess I am going to have to start giving my quilts away - then I could get joy from the gift of giving????

All that to say that I am finishing stuff up!!!!!

Label on the John Deere quilt - completely DONE
Label on my latest scrap quilt (the one from Mississauga Show) - DONE


Shoot - I did NOT take a picture of this quilt when it was finished - basically this is the finished quilt - just the binding is not in this picture.
This quilt was delivered to the customer this past week. - DONE

Binding stitched on this quilt - just needs a label

Starting to hand stitch the binding on the last big (lap size) quilt 
That leaves this lap quilt, a table runner and a mini that still need to have the binding hand stitched down. And TWO quilts that need to be dissasemmbled.  Oh yes - I am making awesome progress on that hand work basket. I am very impressed.

So you can't say that I don't finish things!!!!!


I do have to say that I have the BEST friends ever. Why?????  Well have a look at what happened this past week.

I made a plea to anyone who was a Clive Cussler fan for the book called Dragon. And guess what???   I found a very devote fan who had the book.   Thanks to Colleen for lending me Dragon by Clive Cussler.


Dragon by Clive Cussler

 Last night at the guild, I scored big time.......................



Bags and bags of scraps - I can't even remember everyone who gave me a bag - Peggy and Heather for sure and a couple of other people, but it was so busy, the names escape me. Thanks to everyone for the scraps


Barb was out collecting election signs from a recent by-election. Thanks Barb!!!!


More election signs
 And one more license plate!!!   This is from last year. Thanks to Anne for that!!!!!


Row by row license plate





Thought I would provide a couple of updates. Here is the progress Virginia is making on her applique quilt. It is absolutely gorgeous.


Virginia's ballet bear quilt


Last but not least is the "while I'm away challenge".   I got a few more things last night but I will tell you that if you want to participate - time is running out. I am leaving very soon and if you don't get the stuff to me now - you won't have the pleasure of giving me some hideous stuff to work on while I am away!!!!   Remember all you have to do is give me one small thing to be included - you don't have to do any other work!!!


The "while I'm away" challenge

And Sparky seems to be coming along just fine. Her head tilt isn't as pronounced and she is moving much better. Even tried to come down stairs yesterday. She got as far as the fourth step before I got to her. Silly dog. Have to make sure all stairs are blocked off!!!!!

On that note - I am out of here. Got a busy day and trying to get some quilts done before I leave. With the forecasted HOT temperatures, I might be very happy to be working in my basement (at last!!!)


Have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment: